Saturday, November 17, 2018

321/365 I am Old!

We are entertaining this evening so I asked my husband for suggestions for a dessert. Dangerous thing to do, I know, because there is no way I can prepare 'Death by Chocolate' in a couple of hours. That needs to be planned a week in advance. But to my surprise he suggested "That cake where you heat  up that sauce and pour it over"
"Fruit Cocktail Cake?"
"Yeah"

I have not made this cake for probably 20 years. In those days we were entertaining adults and swarms of hungry kids. It was always a hit, so easy to make and the ingredients were always on hand. You just need a can of fruit cocktail or other fruit.

So this morning I dug out my trusty Best of Bridge cookbook and found the recipe.

Then I paused and stared at the recipe for a long time.  How did my cookbook get to looking like this? The cover was off, the binding half gone, the pages yellow and filled with spills of food from so many years ago.
It looked just like my Grandma's cookbook! Old, well used, and marked up with history.

Then it hit me!
I am Grandma!
Not a grandma. I am the Grandma. My mom is gone and I am now....Grandma.

Part of me wanted to cry but part of me felt a little proud, because Grandma's are pretty special people. But this transition is going to take a while.

I made the cake.... but this time instead of the vanilla,  I am actually going to going to add a "superb substitute".


No comments:

Post a Comment